Thursday May 2 and Friday May 3, 2019
Welcome to the world of modern lettering! In this class you will learn the basics for using a pointed pen to create gorgeous hand-lettering with a modern twist.
The class begins with an explanation of how the pens and inks work. We will do some warm-up exercises to get in the flow. From this starting point we will learn how to create the lowercase letters. The class will progress from studying the individual letters to understanding their dynamics within a word, sentence and page.
Students will also learn modified capital letters to intersperse with lowercase letters in layouts of phrases. A few flourishing techniques will be covered as well. Be prepared for a fun and relaxing time while you learn this popular style of calligraphy.
Kit fee $15 – Includes: Color handouts, sample papers for lettering, extra nibs, small sample of gum Arabic
- Straight pen holder – Speedball, black plastic or other if you already have one
- Oblique pen holder
Pointed nibs – specifically – Hiro 40 Nib – https://www.paperinkarts.com/hiro40.html
- Brause Rose nib – https://www.paperinkarts.com/roseni.html
- Nikko G nib – https://www.paperinkarts.com/nikkog.html
- Strathmore Marker Smooth Surface pad:
- OR Borden & Riley Boris Layout Paper for Markers
- Mechanical pencil
- 2 small plastic cups or yogurt containers to rinse off your nibs
- dinky dips and wooden holder – https://www.paperinkarts.com/dinkyd.html
- tracing paper
- masking tape