BOCCA DEL DESTINO – Mouth of Destiny
Sunday May 5, 2019
When I was a wee lad I recall going to a fun house (though, at the age of 5 is was more frightening than fun) in which the entryway was a giant devil’s mouth. You had walk past the enormous pointy teeth and into the dark tunnel. Horrifying as this might have been…it is a concept that has fascinated me through the years. In fact, if you are ever in Rome check out Zucarrari Palace (aka the Monster House) where the large entryways and windows are sinister mouths waiting to devour those who dare enter. It’s a strange visual sensation that seems to imply that whoever enters is walking into a different realm where the rules of the outside world are lost.
To honor these strange portals, we are going to create small doorways or stages where little characters can enter…or not. We will do these using methods of assemblage, sculpture, and painting. Don’t worry there will be plenty of information for you to…digest.
Student supply list:
- A small box, frame or plaque. Roughly about the size of a postcard no large than 6″x4″.
- Human toys and or figurines (chess pieces, wedding cake toppers etc)
- Small bits of paper, photos and ephemera. This could be images or scenes that could be used in the background of your characters.
- Random tiny doodads. Interesting buttons or gears or typewriter parts etc.. Decorative elements that might adorn the frame or box.
- Bits of ribbon or fabric.
- Aves Clay 1 lbs
- acrylic brushes
- detail or liner brushes
- flat bristle brushes in a few different sizes
- Paints (acrylic –preferably Golden brand)
- Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold (by Golden)
- Quinacridone Crimson
- Dioxazine Purple
- Pthalo Green
- Pthalo Blue
- Any other colors you’d like to mess with
- E6000 or Weldbond or both