Arcana - A Tale of Tarot
Two Day Workshop
I’ve always been fascinated by the sooth saying cards of the mysterious Tarot. Each card is so rich in symbolism and art. It dawned on me that it might be interesting to reinterpret these in a 3 dimensionally in the form or figurines.
In this workshop, your task will be to create a few puppet characters based on cards from the Major or Minor Arcana of the Tarot. Using found objects as your base, you will modify them into a metaphorically rich persona. Next you will create a little stage or stand for your creations. This could be one stage to house all your creations or a smaller individual stage for each card you choose to interpret. Since it is rather unlikely you’ll be able to complete all 78 cards during class, this means you’ll have a choice to make: Which cards to personify?
STUDENTS ARE ASKED TO PLEASE BRING:
- A base for your character(s). Could be a small plaque or a piece of wood…feel free to think out of the box…or bring a box.
- A variety of found objects. Items like watch parts, gears, typewriter parts…just about anything, really. Look for things that are interesting shapes or designs. Tiny doll parts.
- Fabric or burlap for clothing
- Eyes or things that might replicate eyes. Tiny doll eyes would be great.
- Paint – Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold, Titanium White, Carbon Black, Pthalo Blue, Quinacridone Crimson, Dioxazine Purple, Van Dyke Brown.
- Brushes – a variety of sizes
- Aves Clay – One pound or more – www.avesstudio.com
- Adhesives – E6000