STUFFED AND STITCHED DOLLS
Monday May 6, 2019
In this class, we will be making our own fabric using our gelli plate to create a unique OOAK stuffed doll. First we will be creating our own fabric that will be the body. Altering fabric, also known as Fabric Surface Design, is addictive. We will be using our Gelli plate, stencils and stamps to make our fabric. I will show you how to make a face for your doll which we will then whimsify using some a fun techniques I will share with you. In the afternoon, we will begin the process of bringing life to our dolls. All skills welcome.
- 1 yard muslin pre-washed and ironed
- fabric scissors
- 8x10 or larger Gelli printing plate (Amazon)
- brayer (Amazon)
- 1/4 yard of black white fabric (like polka dots or stripes)
- 4-5 acrylic paints (make sure they compliment each other)
- small flat paintbrush
- water container
- small amount of scrap fabric for contrast (optional, but looks cool)
- small bag of poly fil and bamboo skewer
- sewing machine: machine, manual, extension cord, threads, bobbin(s), extra needles (size 14-18). If I can schlep my small machine from Jersey to Cali, so can you!
- notebook and pen
- blow dryer (not heat gun)
- assorted acrylic paints in various colors; include black and white
- hand needle and embroidery floss (one skein, any color) to sew opening of doll closed.
Supply list subject to updates. I will be supplying other items in class for us to use in our project. As always, please message me on fb or email me with any questions. email@example.com
Important- please familiarize yourself with your machine. This isn’t a “how to use your machine” class. Please no sharing machines as unfortunately it puts the class behind as we wait for others to catch up. If you absolutely cannot bring a machine, you are welcome to create a small doll that you can hand stitch.