FABRIC SURFACE DESIGN
Thursday May 2 and Friday May 3, 2019
Fabric surface design (FSD) is the process of enhancing fabric through various techniques such as dyeing, screen printing, painting and stamping (to name a few).
In this 2 day workshop, we will be playing with a variety of these techniques to create our own unique fabric, which lends itself to be used in many other mixed media projects; such as making a journal cover, sewing a purse, creating a textile wall hanging, maybe create an apron, an art doll, use for curtains, cloth napkins, etc. You get the picture! This is an addicting process and I find that the more personal touch that I add to my art (with less consumer bought materials), the more my own distinct style outshines mass produced commercial products. For this project we will be creating a work apron that wraps around the waist.
The first day is all about designing our fabric and learning new techniques. Techniques to be explored are rust dyeing, immersion dyeing (perfect for lace and doily’s!), using stencils, stamps. I will also briefly discuss thermofax screening . We then set our fabric to dry overnight so that on day 2, we are ready to begin our aprons. You DO NOT need any sewing skills for this class. It’s easy sewing and I am here to guide you through the whole process.
- sewing machine + manual, as this isn’t a “learn your sewing machine class”. (I don’t recommend sharing a machine as it will put everyone behind schedule. If i can schlep my little machine from Jersey to Cali, so can you! 🙂 )
- basic sewing kit: extra bobbins, pins threads and needles, scissors, pencil, ruler/tape measure, extension cord
- 2 yards of cotton muslin, washed and ironed – bleached or unbleached is fine. A few bits of t scrap fabric for contrast (ex. black and white pattern)
- some lace or doily’s for the immersion demo (i will be selling some in class. first come first serve)
- small delicate mesh wash bag (walmart, target, amazon)
- small amount of rusty material. Flat is better. I will have some for sale. first come first serve.
- package of tulip pouncers
- 2 small spray bottles and black sharpie
- a few favorite stencils and stamps (i will have some to share as well)
- black garbage bag
- plastic table cloth
- some acrylic paints in various colors
$10 kit fee for use of fabric spray paints, Goldens GAC and other misc supplies.
Supply list subject to updates. Please email me at email@example.com with any questions!