John Creighton Petersen
Monday May 6, 2019
How many times have you seen a piece of beaded jewelry and thought “I wish I knew how to make that?” Or standing in the bookstore looking at arts and crafts magazines and looked between the pages at beading instructions and became overwhelmed at all of the steps? After taking the Bijou Bling class, YOU CAN MAKE IT!!!
Learning how to bead is easier than you think – there are only a handful of foundational bead stitches that create almost any project that you see in a store or in a magazine! This workshop will make beading more approachable, while at the same time teach you some of the foundational beading stitches to begin your journey into creating stunning jewelry.
This workshop will begin with the basics and progress into more complex breaded projects. The first project we will create is a wrap bracelet to become comfortable with beading tools, the tension required for beading, and closures. In the workshop we will create a single wrap bracelet which will allow you to make your own multi-strand and/or multiple layered wrap bracelets.
The second project to be completed in class is this stunning peyote tube pendent. Peyote stitch is one of the main beading stitches used for making a variety of different projects including bracelets and cabochon wrapping. You will learn two different ways to bead using even count peyote stitch and then quickly create this stunning pendent.
The final project to be made in the workshop will be this stunning right angle weave bracelet. Right angle weave is used as the foundation for a variety of different projects because of it’s versatility in not only construction of the basic pattern, but also in the embellishment of filling in the pattern once woven.
Student Basic Supplies to bring to workshop:
- beading surface
- magnification device (or reading glasses) – you’ll be working with small beads!
- addition lighting (if you require this) like an OTT light
- flat nose pliers (2 pairs)
- round nose pliers
- flush cutters
Other Student Supplies Required if Not Purchasing Workshop Kit (below)
- Fireline (gray) 14lb
- Beading needles – long sharp, size 13 or 15 preferred
- Leather cording, 1 yard
- Buttons with shank OR wire closure (shown in picture) with end caps
- Choice of beads for for wrap bracelet
- Ball chain with closure for desired necklace length
- 4 inch headpins (minimum 2) for creating pendent
- Delica beads (Miyuke or Delica): at least 3 grams of a single color or two different colors for creating the pendent PLUS 2 each 3mm crystal bicone beads in coordinating colors for ends
Right Angle Weave Bracelet:
- minimum 8 grams of size 8 seed beads
- 1 gross 3mm crystal bicone beads
- ½ gross (coordinating) 4mm crystal bicone beads
- 15mm (or larger) claw closure
Workshop Kit $50
The workshop kit includes ALL SUPPLIES you’ll need for completing your projects in class, using only the highest quality beads including Miyuki Delicas and Swarovski Crystals. If you would like to purchase a workshop kit, please arrive at least 15 minutes before the beginning of the workshop to purchase your kit (cash only please) and to give yourself enough time to select what colors you would like to use for completing your projects so that the workshop can begin on time.
Instructor will email all students prior to class to “check in” and to find out who would like to purchase a workshop kit (and their color selections). Don’t hesitate to send me an email (moc.evawwentra@nhoj) at anytime with any questions about supplies etc. For more samples of completed projects visit artnewwave.com or my Instagram (artnewwave).