BEHIND THE FACADE
John Creighton Petersen
Thursday May 2 and Friday May 3, 2019
We are much like buildings – behind the exterior lies depth and mystery, built by multiple layers that are slowly built upon. Each layer reveals another part that makes the whole. This Master Workshop has been designed to allow you to work outside of the rules, exploring new techniques and experiences – this is the idea behind revealing your own Façade to the world! Many times we forget that the key to being an artist is to allow our inner voices to speak, to embrace the creative process, and let our work evolve organically and to take on a life of it’s own. You will leave this workshop inspired, with a new confidence and courage to continually evolve as an artist.
In this workshop, we will celebrate the freedom to explore new techniques to create a mixed media masterpiece that focuses upon creating texture and color while incorporating found objects and ephemera for building backgrounds and layers. Get your hands dirty while learning how to use a variety of different pastes, gels and paints – with many of these techniques able to be used on a variety of different surfaces. You will also have the opportunity to create some amazing mixed media elements including faux tin-type photos (photos on metal), antique and vintage elements from paper clay, sculptured fabric, working with resin (creating resin paper and bezel embellishments), and the fundamentals to encaustic (wax) techniques.
Student Supplies to bring to workshop:
- Wood panel canvas at least 12 x 16 inches. Prep your canvas with gesso prior to the start of the workshop.
- ‘basic’ creative supplies (scissors, craft knife, your other ‘essential’ creative tools)
- paint brushes in a variety of sizes (detail brushes to 2 inches)
- palette knives
- heat tool
- favorite paints: acrylic based paints including metallics
- gel medium (matte finish) and any other mediums you like to use for creating texture
- heavy gesso in black and white
- craft mat
- stencils, stamps, etc that you may want to incorporate into your work
- small spray bottle (for water)
- inclusions (like bitter, micro beads, mica) to add into your project
- ‘heavy duty’ adhesive like Liquid Fusion (or similar) that can quickly set a variety of different materials
- laser copy (toner based) images for transferring onto metal (variety of sizes) if you would like to create the photo transfers
- printed papers and/or tissue paper for backgrounds and layers
- bezels (or similar) for working with resin
- because this workshop is meant to be an expression of yourself, please bring your personal found objects, images, ephemera, etc that you may want to incorporate into your mixed media canvas
Workshop Kit Fee: $30
- variety of texture pastes and inclusions
- paints, mica powders, and other materials for adding color
- metal (for creating transfers)
- limited selection of found objects and ephemera
- paper clay and molds for creating embellishments
- sculpture medium and fabric
- all encaustic supplies
Instructor will email all students prior to class to “check in” and review class supply lists etc – please don’t hesitate to send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) at anytime with any questions about supplies needed for class, found objects that can be used, etc. For more samples of completed projects visit artnewwave.com or my Instagram (artnewwave).