MIXED MEDIA MENAGERIE
Andrea Matus deMeng
Sunday August 30, 2020
“Art is an evolutionary act. The shape of art and its role in society is constantly changing. At no point is art static. There are no rules.”
― Raymond Salvatore Harmon
Literature has long been fascinated with the idea of humans transforming into animals. From Greek mythology to Alice in Wonderland – these metamorphoses have captivated the imagination and given us some of our most beloved stories.
In this one-day workshop we’ll use of a rich palette of color, pattern and imagination to evoke magic and wonder as we create our human-animal hybrids. You’ll learn how master the art of seamlessly flowing from collage to paint and back again. Our menagerie of fantastical creatures will be the result of our combination of paint and collage and will tell our own stories of transformation.
- 2-3 pieces of wood 4”x6” or 3”X5” (you can have these cut down for you at the hardware store or buy low profile cradled boards or canvas
- Paper, ephemera and collage items, think about faces, shapes, geometric patterns, textures, antlers, wings, and symbols — bring your favorites. **NO inkjet prints please, photocopy or laser only.
- Paint – Golden Acrylics fluid or heavy body (white, black, and any blue, red, and yellow, plus a couple more of your favourites) Some of my paint favorites: Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold, and Quinacridone Crimson, Pthalo Blue, Van Dyke Brown, Green Gold, Pyrrole Red, Pthalo Turquoise, Titan Buff
- Paintbrushes– bring just a few in different sizes and at least one better quality detail brush
- Palette & Water Container
- Paper towel & baby wipes
- Golden Matte medium –8 oz. (when you shake the bottle it should sound like it has the consistency of syrup)
- Your usual marking making tools (pencils, markers, etc.)
- Small found objects (wings, beads, sequins, etc.) to bedazzle your creation
- Frames, or larger cradled panels to house your creations
- Package of imagery