Books Unbound – Deluxe Edition
Saturday 22 and Sunday 23 April
Two Day Workshop
This workshop is an extended, more intensive version of my Altered Book class. This workshop will have you gluing, cutting, painting and tearing up old books to create 3 dimensional works of art. We will break all rules set into place by librarians and school teachers who told you books were meant to be kept on shelves.
This course will not only expose you to specific techniques such as: mixed media collage, making pockets, building niches, using transparencies, creating images through various kinds of transfer techniques, aging and distressing. You will also have the space to freely develop your own personal narrative with found objects. You will transform ordinary pages of text into something mythical and profound. This process orientated will have you bravely entering into new creative territories.
This class is about recycling, reusing, repurposing and re-invigorating your creative muse. If you are into ALTERED BOOKS, this class is for you!
Kit Fee: $10.00
- 3-4 old books (pick something with a good solid spine- something that inspires you!)
- 2 medium sized books, 1 smaller book and 1 larger book
- Found objects: example: small picture frames, clock parts, gears, typewriter parts, small figurines, dolls parts, game pieces, toys, household items, natural materials, what have you, whatever your are drawn too.
- Bits of fabric, length of old rope or chain, etc.
- Ephemera: maps, sheet music, old paper and printed materialsOld photos: originals or good quality color copies
- Matte Gel Medium
- Strong glue like E6000
- Old paint brushes
- Basic tools: Needle nose pliers, scissors, screw driver, strong craft knife with fresh blades
- wax paper
- Heat gun
- Drill gun
- Screws nails and other bits
- Acrylic paints if you have or have a desire for color
Teacher will bring:
- Additional books
- Additional found objects, frames, rusty bits, etc.
- Additional paper, images and ephemera
- Other tools: hammers, drill, etc.
$10 Kits fee (payable to instructor) includes:
- Additional books
- Ephemera paper pack
- Found object pack
- Glue stick and other adhesives.
- Materials for transfer techniques: Gesso, linseed oil, etc.
- Sponge brushes