Andrea Matus deMeng
Friday 21 April
One Day Workshop
I admit it, I’m absolutely the type of person that will gravitate towards a bottle of wine with a cool label or book with a gorgeous cover…and yes I know that what’s important is the content, but an amazing book cover is absolutely an invitation to find out more about what is hidden inside.
In this class it’s not only ok to judge a book by its cover it’s highly recommended. We’re going take an ordinary everyday hardcover book and transform it into a work of art worthy of whatever you choose to put inside.
Using a plethora of mixed media techniques, we are going to collage, sculpt, assemble, upholster, paint and adorn our way to bookish bliss. We’ll incorporate techniques to age, color and antique found objects, fabric and paper. I’ll also show you a variety of methods to achieve sumptuous textures and create illusive windows with mica and transparencies. Your finished book will truly be one-of-a-kind.
You will be transforming the everyday book into something elegant, opulent and shall we say “novel”.
Kit Includes: $5.00
Use of adhesives, small bits of mica, transparency, waxed linen thread, tissue paper and cheese cloth
- Hard cover book – this could be a sketchbook, journal or any hard cover book (about 5”X8” or 6”X9”is a good size)
- Paint: Acrylic paint, preferably Golden, fluid or heavy body (white, black, and any blue, red, and yellow, plus a couple more of your favorites)
- Paintbrushes – bring just a few in different sizes and at least one good detail brush
- Palette (paper plates will work)
- Water Container
- Paper Towel and/or baby wipes
- Golden Matte –small bottle – about 8 oz.
- Aves Epoxy Clay – ¼ lb size will be sufficient
- Enough fabric for covering your book (light upholstery weight)
- A small frame (see samples for an idea of how it’s used)
- Heat gun